Market Category: Government

Goff D'Antonio Associates provides architectural services, interior architecture and planning for government.

Market Experience

Charleston County Historic Courthouse Renovation


Charleston, South Carolina
Working in association with NBBJ, Goff-D'Antonio Associates provided complete interior architectural services for the renovation to this Nationally recognized historic landmark Courthouse. Designed to reflect the 1792 exterior appearance, the building interior was designed to house a non-jury courtroom, probate judges hearing room, probate functions, licensing, estate file viewing room, estate clerks and a conference room for County Council as well as visiting judges, appellate judge and probate judge’s chambers. A law library and public lobby displaying the history and importance of the courthouse was part of the renovation. Goff-D'Antonio Associates also provided construction administration services for both the exterior and interior renovation.

Charleston County Judicial Center


Charleston, South Carolina
The project included design of a new Judicial Center on an urban city block at Meeting and Broad Streets. Goff-D'Antonio was part of the architectural team for the project which included NBBJ and Cooper Roberston and Partners for the new Judicial Center building. The firm was responsible for the exterior shell detailed design and documentation as well as primary responsibility for construction administration services for the Judicial Center which is 160,000 sq. ft. with 14 courtroom sets.

Charleston Main Post Office


Charleston, South Carolina
This general mail facility of 20,000 sq. ft. was designed for the U.S. Postal Service as the main Charleston station and is located on East Bay Street in the historic area of Charleston. The design reflects traditional forms, color and materials used in a contemporary way for a modern Postal station. The project included a lobby, postal boxes, operations area, offices, meeting rooms, loading areas as well as extensive parking onsite for postal vehicles.

Folly Beach Municipal Complex


Folly Beach, South Carolina
The project involved the design of a new City Hall and Fire Station. The project involved two phases including a new 3500 sq. ft. Fire Station and a City Hall of 10,800 sq. ft. The City Hall building houses the city clerk's office, administration, public works, public safety department, council chambers, municipal court, judges chambers, conference and support space. The exterior of the building is stucco and architectural storefront on a decorative concrete unit masonry base. Vertical roofed tower elements articulate the exterior facade. Major circulation is along a glass arcade which faces the view of the ocean. Broad roof overhangs shelter the building from the sun. The front entry is a traditional street level entry on Center Street.

Hollings Judicial Center


Charleston, South Carolina
This project was an annex to the existing U.S. Courthouse at Meeting and Broad Streets. The existing courthouse is a three-story Beaux-Arts design by John Henry Devereaux built around the late 1800's. The location is the "Four Corners of Law" across from the 1700's St. Michael's Episcopal Church and adjacent to the historic residential area. As a new building in one of the most sensitive historic areas of the country, the building was originally opposed by preservation groups and the final design represents the successful result of a long collaborative effort to create a design which successfully fits into this context. The building is a 4-story structure of 27,000 sq. ft. connected on all levels to the existing Courthouse. The exterior consists of granite panels over a rusticated granite base which replicates the base of the existing courthouse, so as to visually link the two buildings.

Recognition / Awards

1990 GSA Design Award: A national award presented in Washington, DC by the Public Building Service. The project was displayed in the National Building Museum for a month following the award ceremony.

Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Baseball Park

The firm was the associate architect to HOK Sports Inc., Kansas City, Missouri, for this 7,000 seat minor league baseball park for the City of Charleston. The architecture of the park relates to the historical context of Charleston and the orientation of the park was influenced by the view of the Ashley River. The park is utilized by the Charleston Riverdogs and The Citadel Baseball Team. The firm’s role included site planning, architectural design and approvals, design development, construction documents and construction administration, as well as participation in urban planning and advisory group workshops. The park was designed to meet the modern requirements for stadium design. It accommodates team locker rooms, administrative offices, concessions, suites, a children’s arcade, parking and other supporting elements.

Recognition / Awards

1998 AIA People’s Choice Awards from Charleston Chapter of AIA

Lockwood Municipal Complex


Charleston, South Carolina
This project for the City of Charleston involved the design of 34,000 sq. ft. of new space for the Municipal Courts, the Traffic and Transportation Department, and the State Department of Motor Vehicles. The project design created a complex of buildings with an outdoor connecting public courtyard between the buildings. The new structure is placed in front of the existing structure which houses the Charleston Police Department and is oriented toward the Ashley River and Brittlebank Park with one building element turned to address the Corner of Lockwood and Fishburne Street. A new major front entry for the complex was created facing Lockwood Boulevard and a secondary entry was created addressing the new Baseball Park.

O.T. Wallace Office Building


Charleston, South Carolina
As part of the County’s downtown Charleston Judicial Center Complex, the 90,000 SF O.T. Wallace Office Building was completely renovated including a new roof, window replacement, and a complete renovation of the interior of the building including all new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. The project was completed in several phases to allow parts of the building to remain occupied while other areas within were being renovated. The building was connected physically to the new Judicial Center with an internal atrium.

Visitor Reception and Transportation Center


Charleston, South Carolina
NBBJ/Goff-D'Antonio in association with Post, Buckley, Schuh and Jernigan and Cooper, Robertson & Partners, performed architectural services on this project consisting of the complete renovation of two buildings: the J.R. Dean's Building circa 1856 and the Old Martschink Warehouse Building circa 1894, to create the Charleston Visitors Center. The building serves as a point of orientation and information for individuals and tour groups visiting Charleston. The Dean's Building houses limited office space for City Transportation Offices, the Charleston Adventure multi-media presentation, exhibit, sales space and an information distribution area. The Old Martschink Warehouse Building serves as a depot for tour buses and vans. Both of these buildings are part of a National Landmark District which comprises the country's oldest and largest conglomeration of railroad associated structures.

Recognition / Awards

1995 Design for Transportation Honor Award by the U.S. Department of Transportation and National Endowment for the Arts

1994 Honor Award for South Carolina Chapter of AIA

1992 Design Award from the Charleston Chapter of AIA

menu
logo Goff D'antonio
Architecture: sustainable, enduring and memorable